Pages

Saturday, December 3, 2011

When It's Saturday in Ayala

Being a business district, Ayala Ave is a setting to countless stories of rush hours, looming deadlines, urgent meetings and nerve-wracking first interviews told in the language of pattering feet and jostling bodies. It is the background for scenes such as call center people letting off steam (and quite literally--through endless cigarettes), for jubilant or down trodden first interview takers, for tireless barkers filling up jeep after jeep, for contemplative businesspeople with briefcases in hand and business plans in mind. It is a perpetually busy place-- with apparently no space to spare for a dreaminess and slow pace. You either walk fast, or get shoved to one side.

But, as I found out today, it is not so bad on Saturdays.
Hurray! No busy, harried crowd.

I have decided, on a whim, to visit the Ayala Museum. I've been there 2 years ago, but haven't really gotten the chance to savor the visit since it was a field trip and we were on a tight schedule. This time, my time's my own, and I took it.

I've gotten off the other end of Ayala Ave so I can have a bit of a distance to cover on foot just for the heck of it. I walked very slowly, took pictures, and stared at the buildings. I'm still shy taking photos of strangers even when their backs turned, so some of my pics with passers-by in them are kinda blurry.
Bullies.

Procrastination.

Haha cool.

It's an up-down walk, as streets are connected by underpasses like these.

Thank you.
I reached the museum at almost 5pm. Because I'm not a student anymore, I paid the Php 225 entrance fee to view all their exhibits. Students get a hefty discount (around 50% if I'm not mistaken). I started with the diorama chronicling events from our history. I learned that the Sandugo participants didn't drink cupfuls of each other's blood; they only put three drops of the other person's blood in their wine. Seriously, ever since I was kid, I thought that they drank large amount of blood to seal their deal and thus I found the ritual scary. Now, it sounds more business like and straightforward.
The second exhibit showcased abstract paintings. I just breezed through this because I don't really get abstract painting, even when there are descriptions that talked about "poetry in lines".
The third exhibit was the most interesting for me, as it showcased gold gotten from archaeological sites from all over the Philippines. It featured all kinds of ancient artifacts made of gold: from death face mask to heavy, braided belts. There was also a documentary talking about the collection and a bit of history.
INK exhibit is cute! :)
After going through the main exhibits of the museum, I went to the exhibit of INK, a local group of children's books illustrator. The displays were so cute! I love the futuristic section the most, specially the painting depicting a group of kids in an airborne kariton on their way to an airborne slum area.

After the museum, I walked around Greenbelt area, then walked all the way to the bus stop in EDSA. It was an educational and artsy Saturday, and I daresay, a well spent one. :)

2 comments:

  1. Naku highschool pa yata ako nung huli ako mapunta ng ayala museum. hehehe ang tagal na!

    ReplyDelete
  2. baka wala pa yung Gold exhibit nun. :) Balik ka, it's worth seeing. :D

    ReplyDelete