Pages

Friday, August 19, 2011

Why I Love My Mother (Reason # 3) -- An Entry to Let's Go Sago Contest

I've traveled so often after graduation that my mom had gotten  used to this sort of conversation at home:
Me: Ma, alis ako ah? 
Ma: Saan? Kelan?
Me: Cebu. (sheepish grin) Sa weekend (which was then 2 days away. haha)
Ma: Ah okay. Mag-uwi ka ng otap ah.

I'm so glad my mom is so lenient with my trips. Because if she isn't, I won't be able to experience:


1. White water rafting at Cagayan De Oro. It was fantastic, it was extreme, it was soooo fun I didn't even mind if I had booger in my upper lip when I emerged from the water after getting  dumped there unceremoniously.

Video(s) courtesy of Red Rafts.

2. Island hopping at Caramoan. Beautiful. Is. An. Understatement. I felt like putting a period after every word because my jaw had stopped working and insisted on being down.  The islands were lovely and it was a welcome bonus that there were a few people around.
Thanks Kyle Yao sa picture =)

3. Sunrise at Mt. Pulag. It was an easy climb, they say, but I bet the one who gave that classification was someone who marathons every other week and go rock climbing on weeks that he isn't running. That, or being a couch potato for n years had robbed me of the ability to climb an 'easy climb', well, easily. But for a sunrise like this, everything was worth it.
Amazing sunrise! So worth the effort!

Thank God for beautiful Philippines! And most of all, thank God for a mother who understands her daughter's wanderlust and trust her enough to know that no matter how far from home she goes, she'd always come back-- and perhaps, with an otap or whatever native delicacy as pasalubong. :)

This is an entry to Let's Go Sago! 3rd anniversary contest. 

8 comments:

  1. alam na kasi ng mommy mo na isa kang galang bata at kapag di ka nya pinayagan ay magwawala kang parang isang isda na tinanggal sa tubig... haha.. joke lang :D kidding aside, buti pinayagan ka... yung otap ko din ha, yung pili nuts ko dati inubos mo na :D Ingat sa byahe :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, salamaaat Manix! Magpakita ka kasi para me naaabutang pasalubong =))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Aubrey,

    Don't forget this req't:
    "Post the link of your article in YOUR Facebook wall and tag @LetsGoSago.net" Facebook page

    Aug 29 is the last day for week 3! :)

    Sago

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jon: I already did. :) here's the link:
    http://www.facebook.com/ausome/posts/182097411862062

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Aubrey,

    The booger story really got me. :D
    But seriously, your blog post reminded me of the things I haven't done yet despite having been all around the country because of my work. But then, I'm not really into extreme sports such as white water rafting nor am I a person who does mountain climbing. But then again, who says I can't try them? I might just visit one of the places you mentioned here in your post very soon. If I ever do, I'll remember you and I'll be reminded that an audacious girl named Aubrey really tickled my imagination and reminded me to spend my days filled with excitement. ;)

    Jenny
    www.mannaforjenny.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Jenny, white-water rafting is a MUST try. And really, it's not as extreme as it looks. You don't even have to know how to swim. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Aubrey,

    Check out the results of the 3 Philippine Spots Contest:
    http://www.letsgosago.net/2011/08/3-philippine-spots/

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete