Pages

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The World Knows The Secret

there was a secret you told me when i was new
the same secret that you told the flowers
who told me the secret too
back when i was not yet old enough
not to understand
that we had a secret-- me, the flowers, you.

oh, but the trees
the wise old towering trees
were told of our secret, too.
and they would tell me--
remind me of our secret
back when i was yet young and wise enough
to hug the trees and listen to them whisper
our secret-- mine, the flowers, the trees, yours.

of course, the little birds
who built their homes on the trees
knows the secret
they were also told.
and every morning, they'd remind me of that-
the secret that i used to know
before the years dimmed
my understanding of their songs.
and even so, the birds keep singing our secret--
mine, the flowers, the trees, the birds, yours.

the flowers, the trees, the birds
and even the grass under my feet
they all knew the secret
how i could i forget?
but i did-- and worse
I forgot
that the flowers, the trees, the birds
and even the grass under my feet
knew the secret,
tell me of it.
you told them
so I would not forget.

and everything of the world
once in the past was told
of our secret. and some, they remembered
but some,
and I for one,
forgot.
But the world knows that there was a secret
between me, the flowers, the trees,
the grass under my feet,
and everything of the world and you.

I remember now.

No comments:

Post a Comment